Red/Yellow Top Tube (w/ Gel – Clot Activator) – (Use for Therapeutic Drugs, Carnitine)
- Allow the tube to fill until blood flow ceases.
- Immediately after drawing, gently invert the tube 5-10 times to mix the blood with the clot activator.
- Use the barcode label with the patient’s name and ID to identify the specimen.
- Allow the blood to clot in an upright position for a minimum of 30 minutes but do not exceed 2 hours. Patients with abnormal clotting due to disease, or those receiving anticoagulant therapy require more time for complete clot formation. Separation of serum from cells should take place within 2 hours of collection to prevent erroneous test results.
- Centrifuge 20 minutes for fixed angle, 15 minutes for swing bucket centrifuges.
- Check for a good gel separation. If gel separation is not complete or if a portion of the clot protrudes through the separator, transfer the clear portion of the serum into another labeled Red/Yellow Top Tube and recentrifuge. Never recentrifuge the same tube.
- Refrigerate at 2°- 8° C.